still more perfect pitch

JIMRPT JIMRPT@aol.com
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 10:48:31 EDT

et al;
 This one is free gratis, I just thought it was interesting. I also found
interesting the fact that these three seperate Scientific Journals did not
dispute the fact of existence of perfect pitch rather they were adressing the
where and why of it.
Jim Bryant (FL)
------------------------------
A Musician's Standpoint: Are we Born with Perfect Pitch or is it
Learned?

There are a large amount of different opinions on whether or not perfect
pitch is something a person born with or something a person can only
learn. As Dr. Atovsky, Aural Training Professor at DePaul U. states, "No
one really knows how or why a person has perfect pitch. People believe
different things about whether we're born with perfect pitch or whether
it's a trained thing." However, Dr. Atovsky acknowledges that practicing
certain exercises will invariably aid development. He gives the example
of a baby learning to walk. Babies will start testing certain muscles as
they try to imitate other people walking. Once their strength is
developed and learned, they need to learn coordination. The same goes
for any skill, such as recognizing pitches (Atovsky). Many scientific
researches have found this to be very true. As one such report put it,
"It was discovered that there was a strong relationship between musical
achievment and the amount of formal practice undertaken" (Sloboda, 287).

Like Dr. Atovsky, Ms. Sauer has had numerous encounters with students
and co-workers that have perfect pitch. She also has this innate
ability. But is it really innate? "I don't believe that people are born
with perfect pitch. However, I think that people can be born with the
capacity to have perfect pitch, through whatever the connections may be
in the brain" (Sauer).

Here are a few of the many speculations made:

It seems that it [perfect pitch] is hereditary, cannot be acquired in
later life, and occurs more frequently among the blind. Remembering the
travelling-wave theory identifying pitch determination with distance
along the cochlea canal, [Some scientists think that being able to hear
different pitches has to do with the distance along the partition in the
cochlea canal.], it would seem that the possessor of perfect pitch can
as easily 'place' a musical sensation in position along the canal as
other people can tell which finger is being touched, or indeed locate a
point of physical contact anywhere on the body (Fry, 598).

"Some persons are born with it [perfect pitch] but far more often it is
learned in the course of musical training" (Harper Collins Dictionary of
Music, 2).

Although these speculations show just how much the common musician,
music historian or music critic doesn't know for sure where perfect
pitch comes from, perhaps more concrete evidence can be given from the
more recent, scientific standpoint. Please go to The Scientific Side:
Born with it or learned?