Bridge repair

Wimblees Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 25 Apr 1998 19:14:43 EDT

>oday I encountered a repair on an upright piano that has me stumped as to
>its quality and or correctness.
>
>The repair looks to be about 50 years old and the piano about 75 years
>young.
>The repair. I believe was intended to add down bearing and was accomplished
>by placing piano wire (  (  16 gage ? could not measure ) long the bridge
>pins.

Joe:

I wouldn't try to do anything to this piano except tune it.  Don't try ot seat
the strings, (as you customarily do,) or change anything about the repair that
was made. If it lasted 50 years, and no one has complained about anything,
leave well enough alone and for get. This is a 75 year old piano, and pretty
soon, nothing is going to go right,  and it will be time to give the piano its
last rights.

Just my opinion.

Willem Blees RPT
St. Louis