TP coils

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 21:13:31

Dear Bill,

I have a little thing that might help you around this quandary. You don't
need to either remove the pin, or make the coil in place with the old end.
Make a coil in the regular way on a spare pin, and move it over. I use a
tuning pin which I hacksawed to half-length, with the new end rounded over,
so it can get nearer the pressure bar on spinets.

I think, myself, that it's worth the minor stretching of a new wire end
when splicing, rather than robbing the neighboring coil for a little bit of
wire. With a fresh piece of wire, you can put a very good coil of the right
size on the old pin, only turning the pin out one or one and a half turns,
and not disturbing the other half of the wire at all. If you use the usual
squeezing and tapping procedures, the amount of stretching won't be much,
and the new coil will be secure, without the little piece sticking out.

That's my take on it, anyway. I don't like splicing, either, and just
learned it for the exam, but there have been times when I use it: old
covered sounding bass strings, where a new wire would stand out, sounding
far too bright; and long treble wires with a player action in the way,
where one really _couldn't_ get a new wire in without removing things which
shouldn't be moved.

Susan