Temperaments (the pianos', not the technicians')

Mark Graham magraham@bw.edu
Sun, 1 Feb 1998 10:21:55 -0500 (EST)

I learned tuning at the Perkins School in Elyria, Ohio, in the 70's. It
was a unique place, an old YMCA full of pianos. There was a gym and a
pool, and more dorm rooms that were ever needed. We learned to set
temperaments by 4ths and 5ths. If you paid for the "concert tuning"
course, you learned about 3rds. I don't recall 6ths being mentioned. Most
of the good technicians from that school (and there are plenty on this
list) ended up learning about the fine points of temperaments on their
own.

I lived in Elyria, but many of the students lived in the building. One day
I was eating lunch with them in the big communal kitchen, and a woman
named Sue went over to a diassembled upright in the hall and played some
chords. I remember her exclaiming "Sweet!", and I remember all of us
raising our heads and cocking an ear in that direction. She played some
more, high, low, close, open, and it really was an uncommonly attractive
sound, clear on some chords, complex on others. We all noticed it.

Upon checking the temperament, it became clear that it wasn't perfect (ET
being what we called perfect). Twenty years later, I realize that what we
were hearing was a piano which a student had tuned in our approximation of
ET, but which had slipped into a not-ET well temperament of some mongrel
variety. We were so used to hearing one temperament, hour after hour, that
a different temperament seemed like a doorway to different music.

And that is how I regard temperaments now. I always attempt ET, because
even for our Bach festival, that is what is specified. (We have an
excellent harpsichordist who requests Valotti-Young at A 415 for her
personal teaching harpsichord, but other than her, our very correct Bach
experts here are completely unaccustomed to other temperaments.) At home,
though, and on the pianos of some teachers who I know play almost
exclusively Romantic repertoirs, I tune various temperaments, and savor
the results like you would savor a fine meal. There are always lovely
surprises in store, and sour chords happen, but only very, very rarely.
It's amazing how broad a range our ears will accept.

I do know that when I set ET on a piano using a temperament strip, where
the piano is pretty out-of-tune, and then tune the unisons, when I check
the temperament, it often no longer is ET. I suppose those of you who
always do two-pass tunings would eliminate this "problem", but I find most
people don't care, and the results are interesting and not at all
offensive.

When you're talking about temperaments, there are many paths to beauty.
The older I get, the more I am willing to accept and appreciate any
reasonable temperament that comes along. That applies to piano
temperaments, and people temperaments.

When I was working at the Perkins School painting walls, I once jokingly
said that I was going to paint a mural of Moses receiving the Equal
Temperament on Mt. Sinai. 20 years later, I know more than ever that that
is only a joke.

Mark Graham
Baldwin-Wallace Conservatory of Music
Berea, Ohio