Pressure cooker bushing removal

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 15:43:14 -0800 (PST)

At 05:58 PM 2/9/98 EST, Bill Simon wrote:

>R. Moody wrote:
>
><<How does this pressure cooker work on ivories? >>
>
>Don't know, never thought of trying it. As to trying it, however, ivory is
>porous - well, slowly anyway. You might get the best results if you could get
>some water through or under the ivory by perhaps putting dampened cloth on the
>ivories, covering that with foil to stop evaporation, and then waiting a few
>hours. Then the steam heat would really have something helping it from behind.
>
>Good luck
> Bill Simon
>Phoenix

I use a wet cloth and a steam iron taking off ivories, and they loosen very
quickly, so perhaps straight steam could be tried. Might just do the trick.

One concern I've had in steaming off ivories (and keybushings) is that the
plastic fronts can get cloudy and rough if they get too hot. Once or twice I
had to stop steaming with the iron and cloth abruptly, when I smelled the
"hot pyralin" kind of smell, and saw the fronts losing their mirror shine.

Regards,

Susan

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"Only in a crazy world would jewels be worth more than tools."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant