further clarification on query

PDtek@aol.com PDtek@aol.com
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 23:25:21 EST

>	In my post I meant to have said that I have been tuning this piano since
>
>she got it in the 70's.  It has only been in the last 10 years that it has
>
>gotten sluggish from lack of anyone to play it regularly.  When she first
>
>got it the piano played fine.  I have tuned it from her purchasing the
>
>piano back then.  The piano is in a large well manicured home with no
>
>humidity excesses.
>
>Are you still going to stick with the vertigre solution and not with the
>
>"play all the notes as much as possible till it does start working freely?"
>
>James Grebe

James;

Whether the centers need Protek, repinning, replacement, or whatever, that is
what needs to be done BEFORE the installation of the PianoDisc. From your
description of the severity of the action problems, I can't imagine that
repetition alone would reduce the friction in the centers to where it should
be. Not to mention that in the meantime the PianoDisc would work like crap.

As to the cutting of a slot in the bed, to the uninitiated this sounds like a
gruesome procedure, indeed. Nothing like making a plunge cut with your
circular saw and ripping up the length of a Steinway bed to get the old
adrenaline flowing. But I digress. The truth is that the slot in no way
diminishes the structural integrity of the bed and most manufacturers,
including Steinway, endorses the installation of PianoDisc by certified techs
in their pianos.

Dave Bunch
Certified PianoDisc Technician