Vertigris

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 14:43:09 +0000

Hello List,
    I've wondered if vertigris is deposit created as a result of
electrolysis.  I know in a sailboat if two dissimular metals are placed
together or even near each other the less noble metal will deteriorate.
Interesting that Steinways have metal action rails and supports which
are come quite close to the cpins (almost close enough to touch
centerpins at braces and cpins are very close to each other).  Could
accumulated dust combined with moisture and pollution allow for
conductivity and motion/friction at cpins generate the electrical
current?
My sailboat uses a sacrificial zinc which is replaced periodically on
the prop shaft to protect the valuable metal parts. Just a thought.
-Mike Jorgensen