sluggish centers

Mike Masters agraffes@worldnet.att.net
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 16:28:12 +0000

John Freeman wrote:

> John Musselwhite wrote:
> >
> > At 11:20 PM 2/13/98 -0600, Richard wrote:
> >
> > >So I am wondering if anyone else uses Protek on centers, and how do
> > >you like or dislike it?  Does it last longer than say two years?
> >
> > I use Protek CLP on tight centres as well as for other purposes. On badly
> > verdigrised centres such as those on an old Chickering grand I look after I
> > reapply it every couple of years. The elderly owner of that instrument
> > isn't prepared to replace all the parts, even though it needs it. On that
> > action I tried almost everything before I started using Protek on it. At
> > least it's playable now and treating it is inexpensive and quick.
> >
> > I might add I've also used it to stop squeeks in key bushings and balance
> > holes as well as squeeks from the capstans on verticals. I do not know yet
> > if that fix is "permanent", but at least it helps.
> >
> > A couple of months ago I ran into a cheap Canadian piano where every
> > centrepin was tight and needless to say, the instrument was unplayable. A
> > single protek treatment worked wonders on it instantly. We'll see how well
> > that one works over the long run, and I'll report on it if it starts to
> > stick again if anyone's interested in it.
> >
> > I still use alcohol and water to shrink bushings if I have the time or the
> > centres are WAY too tight, but Protek seems to work extremely well on those
> > centres that are borderline tight or contaminated, especially if the piano
> > owner is on a tight budget.
> >
> >                 John
> >
> > John Musselwhite, RPT  - Calgary, Alberta Canada
> > musselj@cadvision.com - http://www.cadvision.com/musselj/
>
> Where can I buy Protek.  John Freeman

	Protek can be purchased from any Piano supply house,i.e. Schaff,
Pianotek, American, S.F. Supply. There are a couple of different types
of Protek lubricants available. What you are looking for is the Protek
CLP (center pin cleaning lubricant) The other is a grease type lubricant
for wood-wood, wood-metal called Protek MPL (multipurpose lubricant) I
have found that it works well on trapwork, much like VJ lube.
	I have found that Protek does not work as well for me for application
of center pins. Unless they are just borderline. I almost always resize
with alcohol/water instead. I mainly use protek for squeaky key
bushings. Although I did use it on some squeaky korean knuckles. (I was
out of teflon, and it was an emergency) It was only a temporary fix
though. Did have to return a few months later to do the teflon/McLube
combination. I have also found Protek to be of good use on the Pedal
pins that have the Plastic mounting hardware. No disassembly and it gets
rid of the squeaks.

Mike Masters
Masters Piano Service
Lakewood, OH