I wish to raise a point...

ETomlinCF3@aol.com ETomlinCF3@aol.com
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 21:56:57 EST

I feel it is vital to the instruments we service to place them as near A440 as
possible.
In my short history of 7 years and thousands of pianos, most of them in the
early years were uprights.  I still feel you should not be afraid of these ol'
beasts.  In my history only one plate has cracked and that was after the owner
told me he had dropped it getting it to the location.  I have little string
breakage and find most can come up in one pass.  I set the pin low first to
break the rust bond and then bring it up slowly.  If the piano is too bad in
the rust dept. I sell a restring if possible.  I feel we should not just leave
them all where we find them.

Ed Tomlinson

<< On old uprights, I don't even find out where the pitch is. I tune it where
it
 is, because of the problems you indicated, brittel strings, weak bridges,
 rustry strings. etc. If the piano happens to be on pitch, it is a plus, but I
 don't attempt to raise it much.

 Willem Blees  RPT >>