Bechstein plate cracks

Douglas K. Rhodes drhodes@ISLANDNET.COM
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 15:53:31 -0800

On 18 February, Les Smith asked:

>Why does the problem seem to appear with such frequency in Bech-
>steins?

I can only speak from having observed a couple with the "characteristic"
problem. The plate is the open webbing type - exposed pinblock. It is, to
my  eye at least, fairly obvious that the longitudinal strut castings are
too narrow, and unsupported by any horizontal webbing where they cross the
open pinblock areas. From what I have heard, that's where they will tend to
crack.

My own suspicion is that this design weakness is exacerbated by seasonal
expansion of the pinblock. Here in coastal British Columbia, where at least
three Bechsteins with cracked plates reside, the relative humidity can
reach 70-75% _indoors_ in the spring and summer, and as low as single digit
R.H. during cold dry winters.

I'm still at the speculating and pondering stage, however, and would
appreciate any sage advice regarding both diagnosis and cure.

Cheers

Doug Rhodes, RPT
Victoria, BC Canada