What is "Flagpoling?"

Kenneth W. Burton kwburton@freenet.calgary.ab.ca
Thu, 1 Jan 1998 05:23:39 -0700 (MST)

	Guy,

	Was this piano a Type A, B or C?
	I admit that I invented these names but you know the
characteristics. Type A is that piano where the pitch moves as you move
the tuning pin and this helps you to know when to stop. Type B is the one
where the pitch moves as soon as you begin to exert pressure on the pin,
before it moves at all in the pinblock. Type C is that beast--Heintzman,
Mason and Hamlin, etc--where you can actually feel the pin turn in the
pinblock before the pitch moves. All three of these types require a much
different technique.

	Ken Burton "Doctor Piano" Calgary Alberta