rebuild-redo-renovate-recondition

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 03 Jan 1998 15:58:38

Greetings Barrie,
                  I think there are many good ideas in your post. Speaking
as a person that is working from both sides of the street. Tech, rebuilder,
retailer ect. The more we can be proactively working as a music industry,
for the good of the whole music community the better it will be for every one.

  Again I feel that we as the technology professionals in the market place,
should be showing the leadership in this area. The idea of P.T.G. coming up
with some kind of standard. that would entitle members to use some kind of
stick on seal of quality, has a great deal of merit in several areas. 1.
Help to increase public awareness of P.T.G.  2. The same for dealer
awareness. If we were careful in the administration of the seals, say at
the chapter level. This over time would show value to the general consumer,
and enhance our own image as members.

  Since I am clueless of how the politics would work at the P.T.G. level
some one else needs to pick up the ball.
  Once again great ideas Barrie
Regards Roger
>Dear All in US,
>
>Why do you not contact the P.T.G. to set themselves up as a steering
>group, invite interested parties such as, Retaillers Associations,
>Manufacturers, other piano tuning organizations, none align technicians
>and none align Retaillers to submit proposals for a uniform standard for
>terms such as, restored recondition and rebuild.
>
>Your none align technicians and none align retail shops could be
>contacted through a mail shot, from the supply houses.  The supply
>houses will be more than happy to do this, as in the long term it means
>more business for them.  The retaillers would benefit if they place a
>piano in their show room and say it is reconditioned and it has to be
>reconditioned.   Not just blown out with a compressor and a few bridle
>tapes changed.  The tuner benefits,  we will get better piano to work
>on. Also, the technician benefits,   the same way the retailler
>benefits, from the levelling out of the competition, it will be down to
>labour costs and parts as we all do the same work to the piano.
>
>Fineally the General Public gains and loses, they gain in the fact that
>if they walk in to a shop and it says rebuilt they can look at the list
>and know what they are getting.  Also, when the technician rebuilds
>their piano they know what they are getting.  The downside of course, is
>this will cost the public more in the long run.
>
>In the U.K. we have already started down this road, steering committees
>have been set up,  it will take time before it becomes widely accepted
>by all.  however, the more people within the trace you involve in the
>initial conseultation period, the more chance of the definitions being
>addopted.  A logo can also be developed for shops and technicians
>participating in the scheme, eventually if the U.S. addopt it and it is
>addopted in Europe it won't belong before we will have an International
>standard of what is what.   Surely in the long term as technicians we
>will benefit as will the retailers.
>
>Barrie.
>

>--
>
>Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
>The UK PIano Page                              |
>pgp  key on request                            |  HAVE YOUR PIANO TUNED

Roger Jolly
Balwin Yamaha Piano Centres.
Saskatoon/Regina.
Canada.