What is "Flagpoling?"

Kenneth W. Burton kwburton@freenet.calgary.ab.ca
Sun, 4 Jan 1998 05:56:56 -0700 (MST)

	Guy,

	I guess I need to ask another question. Is the tuning pin
sufficiently tight? As long as the pin is tight and is not touching
anything else, we should be able to set it, though you may need that tip
with the paper thin sides.
	I have been experimenting with a new technique which I call Bump
And Rebound. To use it, I pull the pin so that the pitch is somewhat above
the final spot. Then, with stiff fingers and hand, I gently slap the
hammer handle in a counter-clockwise direction. With each slap, I withdraw
my hand quickly so that the pin can some to its own resting place. The
theory is that if the pin and string find their own place of stability,
the pin torsion and bend and the string equalization will be accurate and
the string will stay well in tune. It works great for me.

	Ken Burton "Doctor Piano" Calgary Alberta