rebuild-redo-renovate-recondition

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 04 Jan 1998 14:26:49

Greetings Barrie,
                  I agree with the open to all concept, however P.T.G. is
in an ideal situation to play the facilitator on this issue. Before we
could approach the retailers and non aligned shops in the industry, we
would need some thing definitive to approach the with. If we can not agree
on a definition of Rebuilt, reconditioned, refurbished, repaired, ect. how
can we possibly sell other segments of the market place on the concept.

  From my own point of view, if I have replaced, Strings, dampers, hammers
and shanks, (hammer butts in verticals), all key bed felt and bushing
materials, all trap work and guide bushings, repinned no larger than 4/0
pins, all wippen cloth and flanges, If the unit also has a premium board,
bridges, and, wrest plank, I am quite comfortable in telling a customer the
unit is rebuilt, since most critical components have been replaced.  Having
said this I'm jumping into a deep bunker as many will disagree.

  We have to get our internal house in order before we can spread out
wards, your idea of trying to ultimatly get international standards is a
good one, but the more grass root problems have to be tackled first.

  Consumer laws in North America vary from state to state or province to
province. By and large not as stringent as the U.K. or EEC countries.

  Despite the many obsticals I would strongly support any move towards
setting a series of standards.
Regards Roger

>Hi Roger,
>
>If it is to work, it must be open to *all* not just PTG members.  If you
>have a logo scheme, If you display that logo on you work or advertise
>that you are part of the scheme, and do not follow it to the letter, you
>will be breaking the Law,
>
>WHY?
>

>I imagine you have similar laws in the US and Canada as we do in the UK.
>In the UK it is called trading standards if you say that you a
>participating in a scheme and brake the rules of that schem, you
>are braking the Law and will get a big fine.
>
>If you put a price of $25.00 on a product and then tell the customer it
>is $50.00 is that not braking the Law, it is in the UK.  The same as if
>you say your piano is recondition under the logo scheme and it is not,
>you are braking the Law.
>
>This way the piano trade does not have to enter into prosecutions the
>State will do it for you,  as the indivedual is braking a Government
>law.
>
>Well that the theory. That why you need a broad input from all shops and
>Tech's, not just the PTG.
>
>Barrie,

Roger Jolly
Balwin Yamaha Piano Centres.