KIMBALL

DaleP34429 DaleP34429@aol.com
Mon, 5 Jan 1998 00:01:59 EST

<< Hello List. Today I went to solve a problem in a piano that it's owner said
me that it was in trouble. I went there and could detect that few notes of the
piano was good but a great number of them couldn't to function correctly. The
owner of the piano told me that she lived four years on Texas and that bought
the piano in Dallas. When I was inspecting the problem I was very surprised
because there are no bridle  wires. I never saw a vertical piano without
bridle straps! I inspected the wippens and saw that the holes to support the
bridle wires was empty and clean. I haven't doubt that the never was a bride
wire there. The model of the piano is one that the action is under the
keyboard and the function of the wippens is correct; the function of the key
is correct : if you press a key it pull the sticker, the sticker moves the
wippens and when you release the key every parts come to the this place but
the hammers this is the problem because they go to the strings and don't come
back to the hammer rail. I think that the better thing to do is to install
bridle wires and bridle satraps but I would like to read some technicians
about this problem and I want know if is possible the KIMBALL to have made
this piano without bridle straps.Rogerio Cunha - Rio de janeiro - IC Member of
the PTG

Roger,

In the January 1998 PTG Journal on page 10, Jon Light (formerly with Kimball)
has the solution to the problem your customer is experiencing. The hammer
return springs have corroded due to a chemical reaction with felt on the
hammer spring rail. A quick and easy fix is to replace the rail which should
be available from Pratt-Winn in El Paso, TX. (915) 778-4907. You might also
call Roger Weisentsteiner of Kimball at (800) 422-1611. They used to furnish
the part even for out of warranty pianos at no charge. It is possible to
replace the rail without even pulling the action by pulling the hammer rail
out, unscrewing the action fasteners, and tilting the action back. After you
do this a few times you can do the job in less than hour from the time you
walk into the house until you walk out with the money in your pocket.

Good luck,

Dale Probst & Elizabeth Ward
Ward & Probst, Inc.
Piano & Organ Service
Wichita Falls, TX

P.S. For what it's worth, taking shots at piano makers is pretty immature in
our opinion. It is easy to find fault with any product at any price. What is
difficult is to help a customer who has a problem to find a solution. That is
why we get the big bucks and why we enjoy our work. If you think you can build
a better piano at a better price than anyone else, get with it. Several empty
facilities are available.