What is "Flagpoling?"

Kenneth W. Burton kwburton@freenet.calgary.ab.ca
Tue, 6 Jan 1998 05:13:27 -0700 (MST)

	Guy,

	That just goes to show ya--I though I had come up with something
new. What's the old saying...there's nothing new under the sun?

	I, too, am very concerned that the tuning tip goes all the way
down to the coil. Sometimes, this is deceptive though. Even if the tip
rests close to the coil, the gripping point is near the end of the pin. I
found that I can ascertain this problem by rocking the tip and watching
for the center of rotation. If the tip is not gripping at its mouth, I try
another one. I carry about six with me.
	I also use extra short heads with various angles. I feel that they
give a more positive transfer of energy from the hammer to the pin. For
grands, the 15 degree angle works great. For uprights, it depends on the
overhang of the lid. I prefer the 5 degree angle if the lid allows.
	I choose a tip that fits snugly. To me, it seems to aid the
Rebound which I try to use on every piano. With grands, the finger slap
doesn't work, so I use the heel of my hand. I can't achieve quite the same
instant release of the blow but it still works very well.
	Of course, as you know, every piano is different. (That's why I
titled my book, DIFFERENT STROKES) So, I try to keep a whole vocabulary of
techniques fresh and useable. Some pianos demand the use of a Steady Pull.
Others with Type C conditions (the pin moves before the string--
Heintzmans, Mason & Risch, etc) require some tricks. Sometimes, Snap It Up
works. I pull the pin until it feels that it has turned the correct
amount, although because of the excessive friction at the v-bar, the pitch
has not come up to exact. So, I flip the handle clockwise to give a jerk
to the string. If the pin has been turned to the correct position, the
string will come up to proper pitch and will stay.
	I guess this is one of the challenges of piano tuning--the variety
of piano conditions which demands versatility in the approach of the
tuner.
	Thanks for listening. I hope something was worthwhile.

	Ken Burton "Doctor Piano" Calgary Alberta