Slow-pays, was: No-shows

Tue, 6 Jan 1998 08:08:44 -0600

The subject of no-shows (no-payers?) is IMHO closely related to
slo-o-o-o-o-w payers.

In both cases it seems to be very dependent on how well you know your customer.

My procedure for all customers is real low tech. I use the PTG billing pads
held in an alumin(i)um case. Top copy to customer, copy to back compartment
of case. When payment is received, my copy gets removed from case and
service is recorded into my computer. No/slow pays stay there until whenever.

When/if the customer calls back, I'm well aware of the transgression since
I've seen the name every time I open the case.  I then ask them if they
would kindly refer to their check records.  I'll usually blame my total lack
of organization in failing to record their payment, but would they confirm
their previous payment, please?

Patience does pay...  Several years ago one dear customer stayed until I
arrived before they went to a friend's funeral.  I left the bill, locked up
and left, knowing they were "good for it".  A year and a half later, when
her son (the pianist in the family) was due back from overseas she called to
have it tuned.   I didn't say a word before she recalled (ashamedly, she
admitted) that she never payed for the last visit, and when I arrived she
added a sizable amount for "interest".

Other customers, like schools, seem to need occasional prodding.

I think I've only been "stiffed" twice in twenty+ years.

BTW, I shall not be stuffing Sir Isaac's (our fair-haired friend from New
Jersey) mailbox with this post.

Merry (Orthodox) Christmas!

Conrad

Conrad Hoffsommer		Office - (319) 387-1204
Acoustic Keyboard Technician	hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu
Luther College 			pno2ner@salamander.com
700 College Drive			-Ignorance doesn't kill you, but it will
Decorah, Ia 52101                                   -make you sweat a lot -
Haitian proverb.