Action Retrofit

Stan Kroeker skroeker@MTS.NET
Tue, 6 Jan 1998 11:00:13 -0500

Dear members of the academy...I mean list,

I am currently considering the following project which I presume all
rebuilders encounter at least once in their career:

Piano:  Hof-Piano Forte Fabrik upright piano (pre turn-of-the-century
German manufactured), serial no. 2487 with...gulp...birdcage action.

Condition:  All the usual stuff we find on old pianos; cracked board,
hairline cracks at bridge pins (surprisingly intact downbearing and crown
though), tuning pins very loose and angled downward in elongated pin holes.
This stuff presents no particularly unique challenge to restore.

Situation:  Client has deep pockets and strong sentimental attachment to
the instrument.

Query:  Has anyone pursued the possibility of retrofitting a modern action
into one of these things?  I expect the cost would be high but in some of
our upright action rebuilding we have used parts from the Czeck 'Detoa'
manufacturer.  These parts are available at modest cost for surprisingly
high quality.  If you are still with me, the next question is;  What
specifications/patterns would I need to supply the manufacturer to ensure
that the action and keyboard would fit into the existing cavity?  Would the
scaling of an overdamper outfitted piano preclude using an 'underdamper'(?)
action?  Would it be safer to get the action brackets, rails and mechanical
components separately and custom drill and fit with the piano at hand?

Am I nuts?

I would appreciate your opinions on all but the last question.

Best regards,

Stan Kroeker
Registered Piano Technician

Kroeker & Sons Piano Experts