Newton Re: Refinishing

JIMRPT JIMRPT@aol.com
Tue, 6 Jan 1998 16:32:35 EST

<<She has a Brambach 4'-8" grand.  1925 year . The finish is walnut and
splotchy. Alligatored and cracking. " Prunish", and very "dry" faded
looking.>>

Stephen;
  Since Newton is on vacation I will try to take up the slack and reply re:
Brambach  :-)
1. There is almost 'nothing' short of belt sanding/rotary sanding that can be
done to this piano to lessen it's value.  Varnish remover is a perfectly
acceptable method of stripping the old finish in preparation for a new one. I
myself am not a fan of vat removing processes, although I have no quarrel with
those who use this method in appropiate instances.
2. There is no entrinsic "antique" value in a Brambach of any age.  There may
be considerable "sentimental"value though.  Any value placed on a Brambach
would be arguable according to who you were discussing the piano with.
3. In order for "steel wool and mineral spirits" to do anything, other than
clean a laquer finish, you will have to rub off the old finish with the steel
wool. (not an inconsiderable task and one that I would never do!)
4. A Brambach is a Brambach and almost anything you can do to it will be an
improvement casewise, scalewise or actionwise.
5. Restoration to original condition will be next to impossible due to the
lack of replacement action parts.

 Stephen I hope something here helps, although I am sure that Newton could,
and would, have said it better :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)