Refinishing

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Tue, 6 Jan 1998 16:36:46 -0500 (EST)

Hi, Stephen.

It's not often that I am caught at a loss for words, but I have to admit
that this is one of those times. To put this as diplomatically as I
possibly can-- and diplomacy isn't really my forte :)--when discussing
valuable antique pianos the name Brambach rarely comes up. In fact, never.
However, your customer obviously believes this to be a rare and valuable
instrument. She also appears to believe that its finish is lacquer. It's
not. If she wants information on the RESTORATION of original finishes on
antiques, you might tactfully suggest that she post to the newsgroup
rec.antiques. There's some fairly knowledgeable people who actually post
there from time to time.  In order that you don't personally rain on your
customer's parade, you might suggest that she pay to have someone who
regularly restores "valuable antique pianos" to come out and appraise
her instrument before she invests any significant dollars in it. Chances
are that he won't even come out to look at the instrument, but just give
her the bad news over the phone. The point here being that the truth
about her piano is coming from someone else, rather than yourself. I
don't think that you want to put yourself in a position where you confirm
her belief that she has a rare and valuable antique that is worth re-
storing. Adopting such a position could come back to haunt you BIG-TIME!
The best approaach for you to take will depend upon what you have ALREADY
told her and lead her to believe about her piano. This is a tricky situa-
tion. As "Buck" Staghorn says: "Watch where you step"!

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net

PS I guess I wasn't at a total loss for words afterall! :-)