Refinishing

Anne Beetem abeetem@wizard.net
Tue, 6 Jan 1998 17:22:08 -0500

>Stephen W. Stout wrote:
>
>> I received an inquiry as follows on refinishing the following piano,
>> from a customer.
>> She has a Brambach 4'-8" grand.  1925 year . The finish is walnut and
>> splotchy. Alligatored and cracking. " Prunish", and very "dry" faded
>> looking.
>>
>> --------------dated 1-6-98--------------:
>>
>> "Stephen,
>> Before you go farther- it's my understanding that stripping wood (especially
>> vat stripping) is very bad for it, and that it can lower the value of
>>antique
>> pieces tremendously.  Also I have read that restoring a lacquered finish
>>needs
>> to be done with  mineral spirits, cheesecloth and fine steel wool, and
>>lots of
>> rubbing.While I realize my piano was not in the best of shape, I would
>>hate to
>> spend a lot more money on refinishing that would actually lower it's value.
>> Please talk to some antique and piano restorers (not refinishers) and
>>get back
>> to me.
>> Thanks,
>> Susan"
>>
>> ----------
>>
>> I have my thoughts about what "antique" represents here.  Could I have
>> some comments from you fellow professionals? So as to pass on?

   As Del says,  an old Brambach is not a fine instrument and will never
have significant antique value.  In addition,  that doesn't sound like a
lacquer finish, certainly not a french polish.  She's talking about how to
restore a good finish, and is close to how it's done, though again, it
depends upon the finish materials.   A good finish won't do that hideous
alligatoring so common on less expensive pianos.  That's probably good old
cheap orange shellac, really not so bad to refinish, though it's going to
cost her for time and labor.   She has to weigh buying something else for
the money it will cost to refinish and any other work required.    She
could put $5000 into it or buy one of those pianos at those warehouse
places.

   ab

Anne Beetem
Harpsichords & Historic Pianos