Kawai verticle damper problem? I'm stumped.

Paul McCloud smccloud@ix.netcom.com
Wed, 07 Jan 1998 09:28:51 -0800

Garret:
	I assume you have bichord or trichord dampers in this area, rather than
the flat ones.  When they were new, they probably sat on the strings a
little higher than they are now.  They may have elongated from some
tuner(?) not pressing the damper pedal while they were putting in the
muting strip.  You should also check the timing of the lift of the
dampers to see if they begin lifting about 1/3 to 1/2 of the hammers
movement to the strings.  You may need to trim some of the damper felt
from the ends (trichord or bichord) so they don't touch the strings when
the keys are fully depressed.  Be careful not to trim too much, though.
You can see where the dampers have rested on the strings, there will be
a line.  Don't cut too close to that line, since sometimes the end of
the damper felt needs to guide itself inbetween the strings.
	Good luck.
	Paul McCloud