Doors Left Unlocked

Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Wed, 7 Jan 1998 11:46:06 -0600 (CST)

Part of Zen Reinhardt's post:
>...How do you handle the customer who tells you they'll be happy to leave the
>door unlocked so that you may come in, do the work, leave the bill, and
>leave the house...

I just do as they request, however, I do ask if they want the house locked
when I leave.

Point of information:
One thing I might mention for anyone reading this post that values their
current position of being a piano service person.  I've discovered it is
way too easy to take the liberty of looking around (just curious) at the
layout of another person's home and their possessions with no one there.

TRUST ME, If you value the privilege of continuing to go into other
people's homes, it is a wise choice not to explore the surroundings
intentionally or haphazardly, as there can be video or surveillance cameras
in operation.  And in some carpeted rooms, your bodily presence in areas
not related to access of the piano and its location will easily show by the
imprint of your footprints, etc.  ;-)

>I for one will never enter a house unaccompanied.  I don't care if the door
>was left wide open.  Having a teenager, neighbor or house sitter/cleaner
>waiting to let me in is "legitimate."  Am I being overly cautious?

If it's something you don't do because of concerns you have, then that's
just your chemistry.  Nothing wrong with that.  Just make other
arrangements, or refer the customer to someone else.

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731