missed appointments

Carl Fischer fischerc@nevada.edu
Wed, 07 Jan 1998 12:15:30 +0000

I saw this in my file and thought it would be appropriate for today's
discussion on piano owners:

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS FOR PIANO OWNERS
By C.F. Thompson, From the "Piano Technician"

I.  Thou shalt not neglect thy piano for lo these many years and expect to
have it renewed for peanuts.

II.  Say not unto thy dealer "My grandsire paid ten shekels for a piano
fourscore years ago and it is better now than a new one," lest he suffer a
stroke because of thy words and his blood be on thy head.

III.  Thou shalt not place thine instrument in a cold, damp room nor yet
against a steam radiator, for a piano is but wood and metal and doth suffer
grievously from such abuse.

IV.  Say not unto they dealer "The price is too great."  Have not chariots and
sandals also become more costly than in days of yore?

V.  Lay not that smoldering butt upon the keyboard lest it cost thee many
simoleons for new keys and finish.

VI.  Thou shalt not look upon the service man as a worm, nor yet exalt him,
but always remember that despite his worried demeanor he is nonetheless human.

VII.  Thou shalt look with dark suspicion upon him who saith, after some
tinkering, "This box is not worth fixing," and then departeth hastily.  Look
also with suspicion upon him who saith, "Verily, this is the finest piano mine
eyes have behold,"  for they both bear false witness.

VIII.  Respect the ear of the tuner.  Say not unto him, "I took three fiddle
lessons, therefore I know this note is false."  Thy tuner is a trained man and
he heareth exceedingly well.

IX.  Thou shalt not give heed unto him whose mouth is filled with slanderings
of every competitor within three days journey.  Rather shall thou say in thy
soul "forsooth, it were better he spent more time learning his business and
less in criticizing his neighbor.

X.  Study well the meaning of words.  "Tuning" is not "Rebuilding."  And if
thou sayest to the tuner, "Come at high noon on Wednesday," do not let that
hour find thee at the beauty shoppe nor yet at the bargain counter, for thy
tuner is a busy man with no time to waste.
--
best wishes for peace and love,

Carl

Carl Fischer,
H-897-2050
W-702/895-0931

mailto:fischerc@nevada.edu

"Condemnation without investigation is truly the height of ignorance", (Don't
knock it before you've tried it)

Remember also: "Only users lose drugs"