Refinishing and painted cases

JElving JElving@aol.com
Thu, 8 Jan 1998 02:09:30 EST

<< Hi list,

  I have a customer with an old S&S model K upright. When I walked into her
  house for the first time, I saw that it had been “refinished” by being
painted
  over with high gloss white enamel house paint. >>

At least it was white! I had a customer who wanted to have her *new find*
tuned now that she had bought it (unfortunately from a dealer) and painted it
PEACH to match the rest of her furniture. Couldn't understand it when I
couldn't tune because of a split bass bridge (1/2 to 3/4 inch wide!) Never
tune for an inferior decorator, even if your name is Newton!

Have also had one customer that *refinished an old upright with wood-grained
contact paper. Didn't stick real well in the CA-AZ desert country. At least it
wasn't done like one that was refinished by an un-named (rightfully so!) RPT
who buys old non-descript spinets and does them over in rolled and tucked
Naugahyde. Big seller around his neck of the woods, especially the white ones.
Even saw one of his *creations* done in leather looking stuff with steer horns
attached.

John Elving, RPT
San Leandro, CA
JElving@aol.com