Steinway upt Damper spring tension

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iAmerica.net
Thu, 8 Jan 1998 22:15:19 -0600

List,
I recently replaced the double flanges on an old Steinway upright (Model
V?) and all went well until I noticed the touchweight was heavy.  It was
definitely the damper spring tension.  I used Tokiwa parts since the lady
had little money.

Question: What is the procedure for adjusting spring tension uniformly
throughout.  I found myself loosening until the spring did not touch the
spring groove and it was still a little heavy.  I did put them on in the
appropriate order with the heavier springs in the bass, etc. (there were
three spring wire diameters) In addition to how do we adjust the springs on
a complete set, how do we determine that the spring wire thickness is
appropriate for the piano(.075,etc)?

Thanks in advance.

Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter