Appraisal of old Chickering

Jerry Raz & Laurie Raz-Astrakhan raz@dnai.com
Fri, 09 Jan 1998 23:19:35 +0000

I recently looked at a piano to appraise it for insurance purposes.  The
piano is a beautiful, old (1880's) 8'8" Chickering & Sons grand with a
very ornate case.  The case is in very good condition, but inside there
are problems.  The action needs rebuilding.  The bridge had previously
been capped, but it has extensive cracking around the bridge pins, and a
fair amount of pin movement.  The soundboard has 2 long cracks, but it
has crown.  The pinblock needs replacing.  The overall sound is good,
and sustain is good.

I'm reasonably famliar with the value of pianos of more recent vintage,
but I am at a loss on this one.  Suggestions would be welcome.  I have
approximately a week before I have to give the appraisal to the
customer.  Thanks.

Jerry Raz