HUNT for messages

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Sat, 10 Jan 1998 17:32:40 -0700

At 12:35 PM 1/10/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Can we hold out? Can we keep our standards up? Can anyone find
>another meaning for the word "Newton"? Remember, it has to be
>fun but dull!

Well........ look for yourself:

new ton (n t 'n, ny t -) n.  [[after Sir Isaac NEWTON]] the unit of force
in the mks system; force which imparts to a mass of one kilogram an
acceleration of one meter per second per second: abbrev. N

hunt (hunt) vt.  [[ME hunten  < OE huntian , prob. < base of hentan , to
seize < ? IE *kend- , var. of *kent-  > Goth (fra)hinthan , to seize: see
HAND]]   1 to go out to kill or catch (game) for food or sport   2 to
search eagerly or carefully for; try to find   3 a) to pursue; chase; drive
  b) to hound; harry; persecute   4 a) to go through (a woods, fields,
etc.) in pursuit of game   b) to search (a place) carefully   5 to use
(dogs or horses) in chasing game  vi.    1 to go out after game; take part
in the chase   2 to search; seek   3 Bell Ringing  to change the order of
bells in a hunt: cf. HUNT (n.  5)  n.    1 the act of hunting; the chase
2 a group of people who hunt together   3 a district covered in hunting   4
a search   5 Bell Ringing  a series of regularly varying sequences in
ringing a group of from five to twelve bells  hunt down   1 to pursue until
successful in catching or killing   2 to search for until successful in
finding  hunt up   1 to hunt for; search for   2 to find by searching
Copyright (c) 1995 Compton's NewMedia, Inc.

Def #5 of "hunt" is kinda interesting..... Wonder who's bell will get rung?
Of course, Newton (Isaac) WAS the first scientist to be buried at
Westminster Abbey........ that's got a nice ring to it...

	and without Newton, we would all be stuck with black & white TVs....

>Welcome home, Newton. We've missed you, over and over and over.

and over and over....

>Susan

Guy

"Ptolemy created a universe that lasted 1400 years. Newton created a
universe that lasted 300 years...."
			Bernard Shaw