No Show / Doors Left Unlocked Updates

Zen Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Sat, 10 Jan 1998 22:33:53 -0500

Dear List --

Wow!! And thanks for all of the responses!!

Let me tell you what I've done so far with the no-show of Monday morning.
First, I did give her the benefit of the doubt and waited a good 1/2 hour.
In that time, I checked my appointment book, and phoned her from the pocket
phone while standing on her doorstep so I heard her phone ring inside the
house (one way of knowing I had the right house).  I left a message to the
effect of "do you know what the piano is thinking of?"  I left a subsequent
message just as I was leaving to ask her to call me to reschedule.  Indeed,
I left a bill on her door for a little more than a "minimum service charge"
to cover the wait and the administrative cost of locating something else to
do.  (After all, I couldn't make further commitments until I was done
waiting.)

As luck had it, I did find something else to do, and I did find an auto
parts store that carried mechanics' stethoscopes.

I didn't bother checking the door to see if it was unlocked.  For one
thing, no arrangements had been made in advance for entering her home in
her absence.  (This gave rise to my other post concerning doors left
unlocked.)  For another, she had requested a morning appointment and
cheerfully agreed to the time and date I read back to her from my
appointment book.  It wasn't so long ago that the appointment was set up in
the first place, so I really don't see an excuse for missing the
appointment.  I still have yet to hear from her again ....

The purpose of my original no-show post was to ascertain whether or not I
was being
a little too hard-nosed, and to better determine how best to handle the
next no-show.  I guess it is safe to say that I am more hard-nosed than
others on the list, but there is room to be even moreso.

As for the subject of entering people's houses unaccompanied, I cannot
thank all of you enough for some of the stories you posted.  Admittedly,
I'm still a stubborn old bitch and I will continue to refuse to let myself
into somebody else's home alone, unless they are super-special
customers-turned-friends.  I'm always flattered and will say as much when
somebody has that kind of trust in members of our profession, but my
cautionary sense dictates that this could be the source of a lot of
trouble, should another person take advantage of the situation and help
themselves to the contents of the home.

Thanks again --

ZR!  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI