Appraisal of old Chickering

Wimblees Wimblees@aol.com
Sun, 11 Jan 1998 18:26:33 EST

>I'm reasonably famliar with the value of pianos of more recent vintage,
>but I am at a loss on this one.  Suggestions would be welcome.  I have
>approximately a week before I have to give the appraisal to the
>customer.  Thanks.
>
>Jerry Raz

Not to sound flippent, but if a 1948 Naugy Wurly is worth $28K, this grand
piano should be worth at least double that.

Seriously, though, this is where puttin a value on a piano can be become very
tricky. This is where the value is clearly one where it comes down to what a
new owner will pay for it. One person might think this instrument is a
priceless antique, because of its cabinet, while the next person will consider
it a piece of junk that needs too much work.

If this is an appraisal for an insurance value, I would suggest something in
the $8,000 - $10,000 range. If it sold as is, it would be worth about $3,000.

Just my opinion

Willem Blees