Silent Series

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 06:34:15 -0600 (CST)

Hi Michiel,

>From a mechanical standpoint alone, I like the Yamaha system better. At a
dealer's request, I spent about an hour trying to figure out how to regulate
a QuietTime installation after the installer gave it his best shot.
Eventually, I gave up too. There just wasn't room in the action for the
mechanism. The rotating bar that blocks the hammer shanks is nearly as thick
as it is wide. Disengaged, it would clear either the shanks, or the damper
head screws... but not both. By adjusting brackets, I could get it to clear
everywhere but the extreme bass, but there was absolutely no margin for
error. The Yamaha has more clearance, and looks more maintainable. My
observation, hope this helps.

Ron

At 11:37 AM 1/12/98 +0100, you wrote:
>Bill, Miguel and Larry,
>Thanks for your info and reaction.
>But:
>

>>Tell me more.  Why do you find the Silent series better than the
>QuietTime??
>>In this particular case, it's your only option, that I'm aware of.
>

>-- The Yamaha Silent piano sound is better.
>
>>Silent Series pianos stop the hammer at 10mm from the string (let off) with
>>or without the silent feature engaged.  QT is 3-5mm.
>
>-- This was true but it isn't anymore.
>
>>Silent Series pianos offer one voice unless you add a tone module.  The one
>>voice is a very nice sounding piano (synthesized).  QT offers 127 standard
>
>-- This very nice synthesized piano voice is just what my customer wants,
>nothing more!
>
>My message was also picked up by a big dutch firm who phoned me this
>morning, and told me about other options.
>
>Vriendelijke groeten,
>Michiel van Loon
>Meppel
>Nederland