Appraisal of old Chickering

Mon, 12 Jan 1998 15:33:35 -0800

Susan,

At 09:34 AM 1/10/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Dear list,
>
>Now that a little actual fun has passed (I said _passed_) beneath the
>bridge, does anyone have any real ideas about the value of this gorgeous
>remnant of a more generous age? Or will Jerry have to wait for Newton to get
>some real help? That might make him late on his estimate.

Unfortunately for the owner, if the beasty is in the shape described by
Jerry, it's ready to be cut up for firewood  - unless, of course, the owner
is realistic about the costs involved in real restoration.

Chickerings of this period were/are notoriously inconsistent as to virtually
every aspect of their design - except for being overstrung.  The multiple
section pinblocks fitted with machine screws being only the tip of the
proverbial iceberg in terms of complexity.  Years ago, I spent some time
taking care of the period instruments at the state historical monument
in Los Angeles (El Pueblo de Los Angles). Of the several dozen pianos
there (at that time) roughly 18 (if memory still serves) were Chickerings.
Each one (potentially, anyway), a fine period piece.  Each one, also,
a hobbiest's delight - custom everything.  I learned various ways to not
properly machine brass during that period.  Oh, yes, also, how to do
it correctly...  Still, if one has/takes the time, the musical rewards were
well worthwhile.

There are a few folks in the Bay Area who would be qualified/competent
to do this work, and, certainly others who also specialize in restoration.
Unless one is willing to lose money on a learning project (clearly it's
own reward, and very worthwhile, in some instances), it is much better
to take a pass, and send the thing on before it eats one alive.

"Passing" on...

Horace..

Horace Greeley

Systems Analyst/Engineer