Ice Storm-Public Service

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 17:52:14 -0600 (CST)

Hi Avery and anyone out there who must, from time to time, go OUT THERE,

Every couple of years or so, I am firmly reminded of two basic truths -
1:Ice is slippery, and - 2:Gravity works.

These facts were demonstrated to me last week as I walked out a customer's
door and went down the steps like a Flamenco dancer in turbo mode. It's
pretty hard to windmill with a thirty pound tool case in one hand so, under
the circumstances, I ended up on my butt at the foot of the stairs - still
sliding! Fortunately, I am a clutz of long standing with extraordinary
reflexes and vast experience, so I only lost a small chunk out of my left
shin. The muscles aren't as resilient as they once were, however, and in the
morning I felt like I had fallen down a flight of stairs. Has a certain
symmetry doesn't it?

OK, enough of this sniveling. On with the public service part.

If, when you leave a house, you will stand on the porch and count to ten
before stepping out on the ice, your shoe soles will have had time to chill
enough to grip the ice instead of sliding. A room-temperature shoe sole
hitting 29 degree ice has a coefficient of friction somewhat lower than an
oiled ghost on teflon.

Take your time. Remember, a controlled decent isn't as entertaining to
bystanders as a high amplitude flail - but it's infinitely more survivable.
Be careful out there.

Ron

>List,
>
>   I was just listening to a newscast about the ice storm, etc. in the
>Northeast and was just wondering if any of our list members are caught in
>that. If so, we probably won't be hearing from them for a little while.
>Just curious.
>
>Avery

 Ron Nossaman