Birdseye Maple

JIMRPT JIMRPT@aol.com
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 19:42:45 EST

et al;
 I was planing down some scrap pinblock for a project and noticed some of the
most beautiful birdseye maple that I have ever seen in one, actually two, of
the layers.  As I was planing away, crying the whole time that I had to lose
this stuff, I started thinking about jumpy tuning pins.
  Question:
 Is it possible that birdseye in several plies of a pinblock could
cause/contribute to "jumpy" pins ?  Particularly if there is more than one ply
that has the birdseye?  With the grain going around all confused like that,
could  birdseye contribute to "jumpy" pins?
Just a weird thought that ran through my head :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)