DH Baldwin Stability..

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 18:57:29

Greetings Phil,
                Your wobble problem is due to the failure of  theglue joint
that goes into the top cross piece of the leg assembly.  Remove each leg in
turn by proping up with a saw horse.
   First hammer the cross piece tightly down on to the leg, apply a liberal
amount of Hot Stuff Red into the joint and the end grain of the leg, I
usually apply play dough around the bottom of the joint to ensure the CA
glue will not run all the way down the leg. Clean up the joint with varsol.
   Good thing you warned the customer, two swings, ProTec will not normally
work. The bushing cloth needs shrinking.  Use 75% methonol 25% water about
10grams of Ivory bar soap per 1/2 pint. The meth acts as a wetting agent
for the water, and will shrink the bushing, the Ivory soap has good lanolin
content to lub the pin and waterproof the bushing.  This will take 4 to 8
hrs to dry, process can be speeded up with a hair drier.
   While you are at it do the Wippen flanges as well.
Hope this helps
Roger

At 05:59 PM 1/13/98 -0500, you wrote:
>..structurally, not tuning..
>
>..but first..
>
>..got a call to fix sticking keys on the same piano..the average *swing* on
>the hammer shank flanges was 4.5..some had a hard time with 2
>swings..obviously, real tight..applied Proteck to all 88..much improved,
>although the customer was warned that the problem MAY come back again..she
>knows that if it does, i'll have to re-bush/re-pin..she's happy for now..
>
>..the piano's enviornment is a very humid one..there is a Dampp-Chaser
>installed, but she had it unplugged..i advised to plug it in, seeing that
>she made the investment and I went through my Dampp-Chaser advantages and
>dis-advantages..blah blah..it's plugged back in..apparantly, the person
>before me advised her that Dampp-Chasers do not work..they're a waste of
>money..i asked her if she made the initial investment in the D-C to waste
>money..?..this made her laugh..i'm learning!..
>
>..one more thing on the D-C..there was a rod installed on the key bed about
>9 inches from the key slip..i haven't seen one placed there before..is this
>common?..
>
>..now to my structure question...
>
>..this piano has a wobble to it..all 3 legs sit in *coaster cups*..the front
>2 legs are on a tile floor and the back leg sits on a carpet..all the bolts
>are tight..and there's still a pretty good wobble to it..i noticed this with
>another DH I tuned 6 months ago..this one had all 3 legs sitting on
>carpet..it wobbled as much as this one today..anyone care to comment on
>this?..thanks.

Roger Jolly
Balwin Yamaha Piano Centres.
Saskatoon/Regina.