Ice Storm (non-technical)

PNOTNR PNOTNR@aol.com
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 00:32:56 EST

<<   I was just listening to a newscast about the ice storm, etc. in the
 Northeast and was just wondering if any of our list members are caught in
 that. If so, we probably won't be hearing from them for a little while.
 Just curious.

 Avery

Hello List,

I'm right in the middle of it.  The Augusta, Maine area got hit pretty hard,
and I live about 12 miles out.  At last count, the number of customers without
power had just dipped below 100,000, (from a high of 270,000)  There were over
500 telephone poles snapped, and the trees are a mess, esp. the birches and
poplars.  Most of the hardwoods had some damage, and a lot of the crowns
snapped off.  I am a volunteer firefighter, and we were called out for four
days to clear roads, provide water to the townspeople and round up and
distribute generators.  The Central Maine Power Company has hired electrical
crews from Mass, Connecticut, New Jersey, PA, Del, and rumor has it that there
is even a crew from Hawaii.  (what do they know about ice?)

I've lost about a weeks worth of work.  I know I can reschedule, but it's
still a lost week.  The power has been out for six days, and I wasn't able to
get my schedule from the computer.  And I found withdrawl from Pianotech
something akin to cafffeine withdrawl, but now I've got a small (2400 watt)
generator (from my inlaws) and I can run my house lights and one or two
appliances (the coffee maker).

Tomorrow I start my January round of tunings at Colby College in Waterville.
Apparently they never lost power, and were even being used as a local shelter.
The spirit is high.  We are a hearty bunch up here.

Gordon Large, RPT
Mt. Vernon, Maine