Birdseye Maple

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 13:02:57 -0800 (PST)

At 01:23 PM 1/14/98 -0600, Ron Nossaman wrote:
>Hi Jim,
>
>I've got to agree with you on the first observation. It's sad to waste
>"pretty". There's little enough of it to go around, and too few IMHO, who
>are equipped to appreciate it. My condolences.
<snip>
>Too bad we can't unsaw used lumber to re-use the "pretty" in a more
>appropriate place.
>
>Ron
>
>>et al;
>> I was planing down some scrap pinblock for a project and noticed some of the
>>most beautiful birdseye maple that I have ever seen in one, actually two, of
>>the layers.  As I was planing away, crying the whole time that I had to lose
>>this stuff <snip>
>>Jim Bryant (FL)

Ron, Jim --

If this pinblock scrap material is undrilled (unused), might it be possible
to send it through a bandsaw twice, and end up with usable birdseye veneer?
The Shopsmith bandsaw does a great job of cutting thick veneers, using the
fence. They're smooth and even as can be.

Best,

Susan

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"If you learn one useless thing every day, in a single year you'll learn 365
useless things."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant