Ice Storm report

Michel Lachance chance@interlinx.qc.ca
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 21:03:27 +0000

I know this topic is off-subject but the situation is so exceptionnal
up-here I thought it would be interesting for you to know.  I don't know
how the news in American networks have reported the situation in eastern
Canada but, here it is:

The ice storm stroke really hard in Québec, specially in the south area
of Montréal.  After 5 full days of icing rain, entire forests are
devastated and in certain area, most of the electric poles are broken.
Near a thousand of 730,000 volts towers are down and several hundred
miles of electric lines have to be reconstructed from nothing.

Last Thursday, about 1 milion and a half customers (houses) were
deprived of electric power, which affected about 1 third of the
population of the entire province.  At this moment, there are still more
than 400,000 customers who have no lights, 9 days after the beginning of
the power loss.  For near than 100,000 of them, it will need between 3
and 4 weeks before they have it back.

Most of the generators are designed to be used only in an emergency and
are not suited for continuous use so, many of them are starting to fail
with no replacement parts available.  Hitherto, many farmers have to
face a very critical situation.

In an area of about 1500 square miles, it is merely impossible to find a
single battery, candle or heating fuel in any kind of store.  And don't
even think about buying an electric generator.  We have seen people who
sold second hand devices third times the price of a brand new one.  Many
of the houses which happens to have a wood stove also have to face
firewood shortage.

Fortunately, public security and, most of all, generosity from the part
of more fortunate people is getting very well organised.  Public
shelters against the cold and free distribution points of basic goods
are set up very efficiently.

Had never thought I would ever see something like that in my own
backyard.

Personnally, I had two days without electricity but I was well equiped:
Wood stove, camping stove, candles and, most important, an inverter that
allows me to recharge my computer directly from the car!

Regards,

Michel Lachance, RPT