Methanol? (WHY?)

JIMRPT JIMRPT@aol.com
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 05:38:30 EST

<<It still has beaucoup warnings about the
vapors, both as a health hazard and a fire hazard. It's already a lot better
than pure methanol, but why not use ethanol instead?>>

Susan, et al;
 Alcohol in any form if abused is toxic, and so is milk, butter, vitamin A, B,
C, etc., etc.  Common sense needs to be used when applying any liquid in an
enclosed space.  One should not be using any liquid that is volital in an
enclosed - non ventilated space period....this includes fingernail polish and
fingernaill polish remover (laquer thinner w/oils) both of which are highly
toxic at the same levels as methanol.  Can anyone think of anything more toxic
than lye? Lye is an important component of most of the commercially available
soaps of all descriptions.
  The toxicity warnings on alcohol products are there, in part, for the same
reason we see so many yellow "Caution Wet Floor"  signs everywhere on
perfectly dry floors.....CYA. I am not advocating abusing any
chemical.......well maybe a really good Chablais :-).  If we don't use all of
our chemicals with some discretion we will get into trouble eventually.
Gasoline is much more toxic than Methanol and you breath those vapors on an
everyday basis.
  So I suppose what I am saying is use what works best for you, realizing that
all chemicals are toxic and should not be misused/abused.  Use these chemicals
in well ventilated spaces and only as much as is needed, and dispose of
residues properly.  Don't drink Methanol, mineral spirits, gasoline,
clycerine, varnish remover, or Seagrams Seven for that matter, and you will be
OK. If you spill any on yourself use that toxic lye, to wash off the toxic
alcohol, with plenty of  water ladened with that toxic chlorine, along with
the toxic oxygen and the toxic hydrogen.

Methanol highly toxic? of course........but so is milk... just use common
sense folk.
Just another view.
Jim Bryant (FL)