Methenol?

atonal@planet.eon.net atonal@planet.eon.net
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 11:08:10 +0000

> I've inquired at several drug stores locally and it seems as tho the feds have
> put a ban on the sale of methanol.  Have any others had a similar experience.
> If I can't find this stuff, what about high powered alcohol from the liquor
> store(one brand name is Everclear, grain alcohol, 95%).  I've successfully
> used methanol & water on S & S action centers, to shrink the bushing cloth,
> and now I can't find it.
>
> Richard Boyington, RPT
> Chief  Technician
> Amro Music
> Memphis, TN

>Tim Keenan writes about methanol:
>
>> Be aware that it is toxic,
>>and absorbed through the skin and lungs, not just by the gut.  It
>>will
>damage your liver and your nerves with
>>prolonged exposure.  You don't have to drink it to go blind, it just
>>takes
>a lot longer by other routes.

	Must be sheer serendipity, but I am currently shrinking a set of
vertical jack centres with 50:50 methyl hydrate:H2O solution, and I
start reading all these posts on Methanol.

	Here in Canada, land of block heaters and vapour lock, methyl
hydrate or methanol  is common in hardware stores as gas-line
antifreeze, and lock de-icer. Also handy for action centre shrinking
solution, and as a general glue solvent. Hmmm, I've never heard
warnings about prolonged exposure through skin absorbtion, perhaps
one should switch to isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) if you're
worried about this. After all, in shrinking solutions, it is the
water that does the shrinking, the alcohol is a carrying agent that
quickly evaporates.
	Recochem distributes  my methyl hydrate of choice ($1.29/litre,
roughly 1 qt.) they have distribution centres in all major Canadian
cities.

	'Course I find ethanol is a better lubricant......8-)

Regards,

Rob Kiddell RPT
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
atonal@planet.eon.net