Steinway Double flanges/touchweight

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iAmerica.net
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 09:48:00 -0600

No one is responding..... Not sure why.  I have finished the piano.  I
loosened the springs as much as I could to still get good damping and
decent touchweight.  The touchweight did end up acceptable, but a little
heavy (I did not measure it with gram weights).  The piano IS really nice.
NOT just another old upright.  Steinways are great. It was BADLY neglected,
I had to repin almost the whole action (jacks were horrible) including lots
of new bushing cloth.  If I had to do it over again, I would have insisted
that the customer buy new parts rather than repin.  I did not realize how
much was needed.  I hung new hammers on it, new double flanges and worked
with everything else original.

One thing I would caution you on is that the bushings in the flanges I used
were not glued in at all and when pinning them many of the bushings popped
out. (from Wally Brooks) I used the Renner glue/graphite impregnated cloth
and sized with Methanol on those, but it was all very time consuming.  The
article this month on this seems good and I will try this next time.
Alignment of the hammers was the least of my problems on this job though.
I lost $, but great satisfaction to have resurrected it-it was the
instrument that Moses Hogan (getting well known around the world for his
choral work) had as a young man.
Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter
Covington, LA.