Methanol? (WHY?)

David Skolnik dskolnik@msmnyc.edu
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 09:52:53 -0500 (EST)

I'm still unclear as to the preferred reply format, that is, whether to
reply ABOVE or BELOW  the post being referred to.  In any event,  addressing
the cost and availability question,  I have obtained anhydrous ethyl alcohol
from a local chemical supplier:               CITY CHEMICAL CORPORATION
                            100 Hoboken Avenue
                                Jersey City, NJ 07310
                                800 248-2436
                                fax 201 653-4468
Current price for one gallon - $35.00 (plus shipping, plus $10 per item
hazardous materials charge (United Parcel)).  Does seem like a lot until you
compare it to price of collodian @$77.00 per gallon.

David Skolnik

At 12:30 AM 1/15/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Tim Keenan writes about methanol:
>
>> Be aware that it is toxic,
>>and absorbed through the skin and lungs, not just by the gut.  It will
>damage your liver and your nerves with
>>prolonged exposure.  You don't have to drink it to go blind, it just takes
>a lot longer by other routes.
>
>Given this information, I tend to be confused as to why so many of us spend
>so much time and effort trying to get hold of the stuff. It's all going to be
>used indoors, with some skin contact, and the vapors will be in our shops
>or living areas. Ethanol as Everclear at 190 proof can do the same jobs with
>much less toxicity, and the only argument I hear against it is expense. How
>many gallons is everyone planning to use? And how much is your liver worth?
>Compare the cost difference with how much health insurance costs, and all it
>does is pay your bills when you are already sick.
>
>Sorry about the soapbox, but this has been a pet peeve for quite awhile. By
>the way, when I ask at a hardware store for "methanol" or "methyl hydrate" they
>sell me "denatured alcohol solvent", which says it's a "shellac thinner,
>alcohol appliance fuel, and marine stove fuel." It has denatured alcohol and
>not more than 4% methanol in it. It still has beaucoup warnings about the
>vapors, both as a health hazard and a fire hazard. It's already a lot better
>than pure methanol, but why not use ethanol instead?
>
>Your far too earnest
>
>Susan
>
>Susan Kline
>P.O. Box 1651
>Philomath, OR 97370
>skline@proaxis.com
>
>"The more I learn about light, the more I think we're all still completely
>in the dark."
>			-- Ashleigh Brilliant

David Skolnik
Manhattan School Of Music