In Memorial

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 20:04:28 -0600

Two days ago I called a salesman friend at our largest store to relate to
him what I heard happened to a lady that I referred him to in 1993.  I
don't talk to him but every few months as I have occasion to contact him.
The manager of the store told me, after I asked for Herman, that he had
died.  I couldn't believe it.  I asked when did that happen and she related
to me that it was several months ago.
	 What I was going to relate to him was a story I found out about the lady
I had referred him to in 1993  had called me.  Back then, she had this old
piano and he , out of kindness, volunteered to drive her to and from the
store to show her some pianos with no obligation.  At the last minute she
backed out and I heard no more from her until about a week ago.  I remember
him calling me to let me know she backed out of the offer back then.  When
she just called me she related that a little later she had indeed bought a
piano (thousands of dollars worth) and later on decided she wanted a small
piano and wound up with a Kimball spinet with fancy legs at another very
high price.  She has had this little Kimball now for several years and was
wondering if she should have it tuned after spending all these dollars.
After I pretty well explained, in kind terms, about the several STUPID
decisions she had made without even asking me on the phone beforehand she
said she felt so bad about this little piano that sounded so bad she would
not play it.  I told her if it were not tuned it would only sound even
worse with time.  This is one of those widowed little old ladies who would
have you feel sorry for them who could talk and talk and talk.
	Anyway I called my friend Herman Moehring to relate all that had
transpired since he tried to help her in '93.  Too late.
	I met Herman back in 1967 when I started working for Ludwig Music House
and he was a salesman in one of their south city locations.  Hermann was a
WW II veteran and one of those people who became an accomplished
accordionist.  He had dark wavy hair in his younger days and I'm told was a
favorite of the ladies.  He was part of the accordion orchestra movement of
the late '40's.  Hermann was a company man and would do whatever salesman
job he was assigned to with dignity and effectiveness.  He at one time
approached me with starting a side business of me servicing used pianos and
he would do the selling, a proposition I declined.  He remained my friend
through the end of Ludwig Music House and on to Ludwig-Aeolian and then on
to Ludwig-Aeolian/Piano Exchange.  He would always be there, quietly
selling with no big deals and fanfare just solid dignified selling of
instruments.  He was like that in 1967 and he was like that in 1997.  I
used to tell prospective clients that I would refer to him that they might
have to ask him to sell them the instrument as he was so low key he would
hardly ask them for the sale.  He was a real gentleman and I don't ever
recall seeing him without a coat and tie and soft spoken politeness.
	I have know a few real professional piano sales people in my day and he
was one of them  The breed of professionalism that he had has pretty well
gone by the board.  I will miss him and the St. Louis area will hardly know
he is gone but I remember when sales was a VERY honorable profession and
people Like Herman Moehring made it so.

	May you rest in peace Herman.

James Grebe
R.P.T. from St. Louis
pianoman@inlink.com
"A diamond is coal that stayed there", give me the patience to stay.