Service Contracts

PianoTek53 PianoTek53@aol.com
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 07:47:52 EST

In a message dated 98-01-16 01:55:23 EST, David wrote:

<< 3.  Discounts:  I would prefer to not give any discounts, but I still have
 customers that I started tuning for 5 years ago when I was just beginning,
 and they still are paying a ridiculously low price. >>

Hmmmm... don't your customers all pay the same basic tuning fee... or am I
missing something??

I have recently started giving my older customers (the obvious 80 and 90 year
olds in particular) a "senior" discount of 10%.  They don't necessarily need
to show me their Golden Arches card from McDonald's... in fact I like to joke
with them that I am giving them the discount, even though I should be asking
for ID!   Partly it is knowing that many of them are on fixed incomes, but
most of them are SO appreciative when they know that I have done this for
them.  (Then again, the other day I did this, and I specifically pointed to
the discounted figure on the bill, and she ended up writing me a check for the
higher amount!!  I pretended I didn't notice by quickly folding the check and
putting it in my pocket!  Oh well, the best of intentions, huh?)

Then again, there are others who either take up an extra 20 minutes talking to
you, or take 20 minutes just to write the check!!!

Ah well.... it's still a great profession!

Richard Lapo, Jr.
RPT in NY