Restringing

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 23:21:32 -0500

I start in the tenor section. Instead of the costly and time consuming
pin block jacks, I use wedges cut from a length of 2X4.

If this is your first restringing or it has been a while since the last one,
may I suggest using the Becket Tool to align the beckets.  After my
first attempt at restringing I noticed that was an area for improvement.
It takes a lot of practice to achieve consistency but this tool is a handy
measure especially in corners where your fingers can't quite reach.
I can send an image file and discription of the tool. I string with it all
the time.

Space your strings before they are up to pitch, especially the tenor section
where I have seen uneven spacing on the felt (even from reputable shops).
This is where a little extra time displays your craftsmanship.

Jon Page