Buzzing Acrosonic

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 17 Jan 1998 10:43:50

Greetings Mike,
                I have encountered a couple of units where the glue joint
betwen the sound board and liner have failed at the bottom bass side. The
piano will have to be tipped to do a complete inspection. Be suspicious if
you can get a feeler gauge between the back post spacers and board.
  Buzzes from this scource seem to be very random, as opposed to note
specific, like loose ribs.
  If the board is loose on the LH vertical part of the liner, cut a 1 1/2"
X 1/2" strip of maple, about 24" to 30' long, scrape the finish off the
board to get a good gluing surface. Drill clearance holes in the maple slat
and sound board, a pilot hole in the liner, dry fit #8 X 1 1/4" screws. You
will need a good selection of large clamps, to clear the case parts, Glue,
screw, and clamp,
leave for 24Hrs to set.
  have fun Roger.

At 12:51 AM 1/17/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Hello List,
>				I have a customer with a 2 year old Baldwin Acrosonic. Not a bad
>piano from what I've seen of it (which is more than I would have liked
>to have seen) The customer calls me every month or two complaining
>about a something-or-other noise that never stays on the same note,
>nor does it stay long enough for me to get there (and I have made next
>day special visits to try to catch it.)
>			She describes the noise as kind of a buzz that is in the back of
>note. I have spent literally hours with us sitting at the piano. It
>has never done it when I've been there.
>			I have checked every possible thing that I can think of, can't seem
>to find a buzz or a problem. Ive checked bridges, board, ribs,
>strings, case parts, installed a few screws on the key cover hinge
>that were never installed (14 to be exact.), oh and I've also checked
>for items near the piano that could be excited by certain frequencies.
>Nothing.
>			Piano is in good tune. It isn't a voicing problem. No action noise.
>I have just about exhausted my efforts. I am beginning to wonder if it
>isn't the piano at all.
>			If anyone has had any similar experiences or some advise on things
>to look for in the piano or the piano owner, it would all be a big
>help. Frankly, I'm losing money on this one, and also my mind.
>
>			Thanks in advance!
>
>Mike Masters
>Masters Piano Service
>Lakewood, OH