damper flange cords

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Sat, 17 Jan 1998 16:22:31 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 17 Jan 1998, Howard S. Rosen  wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> Since moving to Florida from New York 9 years ago, I have noted several
> cases of torn hammer flange cords in Yamaha uprights ( Young Chang as
> well). I have always assumed that our humid weather here is the culprit.
> Have any of you techs been faced with this? Do you agree that this problem
> is more prevalent in humid areas? Any thoughts?

We were dicussing this about a year ago. It was suggested that the problem
was caused by the hammer springs corroding in humid climates and that the
corrosion was what was cutting through the flange cords. The recommenda-
tion at the time was to gently clean the hammer springs with a metal
polish and soft rag to remove the corrosion. Of course, I can't resist
pointing out that this problem would never arise if the pianos in question
had used real hammer-spring rails in the first place!

Les Smith