Saddest O of the Week

Sat, 17 Jan 1998 13:59:19 -0800

A440A wrote:

>      I know that the piano needs a new soundboard, (and the block was shot
> before the fire).  The perfect ivory tells me to really try to save this
> piano, but that missing lamination on one side has me wary.  I am waiting a
> call from the factory restoration guys, but I would also like to hear from
> anybody on the list that has dealt with a case like this.
> Regards,
> Ed Foote

-----------------

Ed,

You're probably going to get a lot of advise about how to trash this piano, however...

Structurally, I'd not worry too much. The Steinway rim is one of the toughest in the industry. (One of the "secrets" of their
success, by the way. "Select Hardwood" will never equal hard rock maple.) You could probably replace the board, string the
piano, tune it and never notice the missing laminations. Might not look too pretty, of course. And there is the problem with
the smell. But structurally, you'd be ok.

Your biggest problem will be in figuring out how to replace these veneers and  make the whole thing look good.

Actually, we have a fairly recent L that sounds a whole lot worse that we're getting ready to tackle sometime this summer.

Good luck.

Del