Cloned ... and Go Figure! (non-technical)

Zen Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Sat, 17 Jan 1998 16:49:38 -0500

Hello List!

I guess anything can happen at least once to anyone.  Last night I came to
the realization that my cell phone may have been cloned when the phone rang
at some odd hour.  The only reason why it was on at all was that I was
checking the power remaining in the battery.  I answered, and the caller
promptly hung up.

Called the cell- provider 24-hour customer service number.  They pulled up
my records and YIKES!!  The past month bore no resemblence to my calling
patterns over the past 3 years.  The resettable timer on my phone said I
had used just 43 minutes and the service rep said I was being billed for
over 1000 minutes for calls made to all parts of the country for the
billing cycle ending just 3 days ago.  Go Figure!  My monthly average is
less than 100 min.

My question to the world is this.  Do the cell- service providers monitor
account activity the way credit card companies do?  Somehow I doubt it.
Otherwise such an increase in activity at the outset of this mess should
have been detected.  Add to the evidence some calls originating from the
metro Detroit area within the same hour as a roaming call originating from
Massachusetts.  Go Figure!  It didn't seem to occur to anyone at the cell-
provider that anything was amiss until I reported last night's call
attempt, that being the first hint I had that something was going on.  The
bill should be arriving here in about a week.

No doubt there will be a fall-out from all of this.  I'll be tempted to
keep you all posted with all of the gory details but if you'd rather I
didn't, please say so.  Thanks for taking the time to read this much ... so
far.

ZR!  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net