Broadwood Value

Anne Beetem abeetem@wizard.net
Sat, 17 Jan 1998 16:48:09 -0500

>The music desk is pretty basic. The outside wings are curved outward
>slightly. There is only one cross member. It is grooved
>with a repeating half-round. The shelf is flat, no moldings of any kind.
>Its shape slightly resembles the traditional
>Steinway shape.
>
>Did I mention that it has an 85 note scale?
>
>Also, one thing I said in my earlier post was misleading. The jacks are
>actually mounted to a separate lever that is attached
>to a back action rail. There are capstans in the keys to adjust the hammer
>line.
>
>Regards,
>
>Del

Sorry for the delay,

Alright, now we getting somewhere.  Sounds like 1880-1890 vintage.  I've
seen this action family fairly often.  I say family as they differ slightly
maker to maker, model to model.  She does have a somewhat interesting
instrument, though it was a low end model and therefore not of significant
furniture or historical value.  For appraisal purposes, again, the old
replacement value algorithm should work just fine.  I.E. what would it cost
to find a similar instrument and then costs to bring it to the current
condition.  You know what the repairs costs and know the original
condition.  It probably wasn't worth more than $1-$3K before you worked on
it,hmm?

Best.  Anne

Anne Beetem
Harpsichords & Historic Pianos